Sunday, June 13, 2010

Slow Death By Peppermint Spray


"MOM! They are all over in the pantry! Seriously, it's grossing me out."

This is what I heard at midnight tonight as my 11 year old came upstairs from getting a drink of water. Who are 'they'?

'They' are the ants. Ugh. I must admit I hate them.

We've lived in this house two years, and our previous Utah house for three, and every June, the ants have moved in with us. It drives me nuts.

I hate the ant poison, though, for what I hope are obvious reasons.

And then my aromatherapist friend Jonelle reminded me (while I was chatting with her on FB) about peppermint oil! I ran downstairs, grabbed one of my stray spray bottles (a 4 ouncer), filled it with water, dropped in about 15 drops of oil and got sprayin'.

Was it an 'on contact' death? Nope. I sat their and watched those suckers slow down, and then collapse in suffocation. I'm ashamed to admit I enjoyed it.

I cleaned the dead ones up, and then waited for more to come behind them. They didn't.

Then I sprayed everywhere. On my food in the pantry, on the refrigerator doors, the floor cracks. I caught a stray one trying to get inside my gamma sealed steel cut oats bucket. I screwed the lid off and sprayed the perimeter of the bucket. then I did it with the rest of my buckets. I created a nice barrier whever I could. Nothing like protectin the hood at midnight!

Now tell me, can you do that with the other toxic ant poisons? I say nay, of course not.

Then, as I came to bed I got the question, "Hey lady...what's that smell?" in a come hither tone, if you know what I mean. (This from my husband, mind you - lest you were wondering).

To which I responded, "Oh nothing, just a bit of ant killer." Again, I ask....can you get THAT with the other toxic ant poisons? Again, I say nay.

Essential oil brands I love and trust? Young Living, doTerra, Herbalogie.com, and Butterflyexpress.com. Tonight's brand? Eau de Butterfly Express.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome. We too have seen ants outside and I have some peppermint oil! I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard cinnamon works, as well. FYI :)

    ReplyDelete