Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Great Quote

Theodore M. Burton:
When I was a young boy we used to sing a hymn in Sunday School entitled “In
Our Lovely Deseret.” We called it the Word of Wisdom song, but it was one of
our favorite hymns and we used to sing it with enthusiasm. One of the verses
reads:

*That the children may live long, And be beautiful and strong, *
*Tea and coffee and tobacco they despise, *
*Drink no liquor, and they eat but a very little meat; *
*They are seeking to be great and good and wise. *

(“In Our Lovely Deseret,” Deseret Sunday School Songs, no. 114.)

I was taught at home and in Church to keep the Word of Wisdom. So from my
early youth I learned an important lesson: to avoid those things which were
injurious to my body. . . .

When I read about “health in [the] navel and marrow in [the] bones,” I think
of the possibility of a devastating plague that could overtake the world as
a result of widespread pollution from radiation hazards in a future war.
Could this, then, be one way the Lord might use of separating the obedient
from the disobedient? Could there be some connection between these forbidden
substances and radioactive particles which could cause increased absorption
in the bone marrow, with resultant increased possibility of damage? I do not
know.

I do know that if we keep the Word of Wisdom, the destroying angel will
spare us.

(“The Word of Wisdom,” Ensign, May 1976, 28)

No comments:

Post a Comment